An Actors Blog . . .

Sunday 2 October 2011

HERMAN THE GERMAN FRIENDSHIP CAKE!

HERMAN The Friendship Cake

So 6 days ago my Mother in Law to be presented me with a little tupperware box filled with a yeast like mixture and presented me with a letter, that read like this:-

Hello, my name is Herman.
I am a sourdough cake. I'm supposed to sit on your worktop for 10 days without a lid on.
You CANNOT put me in the fridge or I will die. If I stop bubbling, I am dead.
Day
  1. You get Herman and put him in a large mixing bowl and cover loosely with a tea towel.
  2. Stir well
  3. Stir well
  4. Herman is hungry. Add 1 cup each of plain flour, sugar and milk. Stir well.
  5. Stir well
  6. Stir well
  7. Stir well
  8. Stir well
  9. Hungry again. Add the same as day 4 and stir well. Divide into 4 equal portions and give away to friends with a copy of these instructions. Keep the 4th one.
  10. Herman is very hungry. Stir well and add the following:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • half tsp (teaspoon) salt
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 2/3 (two thirds) cup of cooking oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2 cooking apples cut into chunks
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 2 heaped tsp cinnamon
  • 2 heaped tsp baking powder
Mix everything together and put into a large greased baking tin. Sprinkle with a quarter of a cup of brown sugar and a quarter of a cup of melted butter. Bake for 45 minutes at 170-180C. When cold cut into finger pieces. Cake freezes well and is also delicious warm with cream or ice-cream.

Exciting stuff hey?!? So basically, this cake has been living for a very long time and I have been given some of the mixture to make my own "Herman The German" Cake. I have got to be honest, I think it is very cool. Very odd in many ways but in many more very cool.

I am currently on Day 6 of the recipe. So just a quick stire today. At present it is looking something like the above.

I cannot wait to see the final outcome. If you are interested in the "Heramn Frinshdip" cake and and want to know a bit more about him or how to make your own staring mixture because waiting around for someone to give you some may be a little slow, let me know and I will try and find it for you.

P.S - I am aware that I have missed out the first 6 days of the Herman cycle, however, I will be posting a photograph every day up untill Munching time of Hermans progress for you! :-)

2 comments:

  1. I thought I recognised the photo :o)
    Feel free to give me a mention, or even a link back to my site - www.hermanthegermanfriendshipcake.com

    Stuart
    (love the blog by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stuart.

    Thanks for your comment bud. Nice to hearthat you have been keeping up to date on the old Blog! :-)

    Yeh Ill deffo drop you a mention. If you want a post up on here just let me know. It can be on anything (Within reason) but I am more than happy to get a post up for you. Be it your fav band, an interview etc:

    May I just ask is there anything you feel I could do to improve my blog?

    Me x

    ReplyDelete

Comment Jessica's Blog